NFL and College Football Notes and Opinions – Ravens got Jobbed, Michigan is a Fraud, Erin Andrews is the Best Sideline Report and More…
COLLEGE FOOTBALL ROUNDUP
- I see Bob Stoops weaved his magic again in Miami. Va Tech destroyed Miami and Miami beats Oklahoma. Don’t give me the Bradford excuse. Stoops has plenty of talent and should have adjusted by now. He doesn’t know how.
- Looks like Michigan is a good team, but not a contender. Michigan St is not that good. I know it’s a rivalry game, but a better than average Michigan team wins that game.
- Who made Joe pa’s schedule, Joe pa? Who makes Mack brown’s schedule, Mack brown? Pathetic.
- Looks like South Florida is making another run, without their starting QB. Funny how they can do it and Oklahoma can’t. I wonder why?
- Has any team been more overrated at the beginning of the year than Cal? They were at # 6. They shouldn’t be in the top 25, especially with the 2 major beat downs they took. Same old song and dance.
- Has anyone seen the special segment for people to ask Lou Holtz questions on ESPN? Are you kidding me? The guy has been senile the last 20 yrs and was one of the most overrated coaches in football. It actually would be funny if it were not so creepy. He’s scary crazy. Somewhere in jail, Charles Manson is watching it on TV and thinking, “this guy is nuts”.
- LSU and Florida. Should be interesting. It’s the 1st team Florida has played and even though LSU doesn’t look pretty, they have been in some battles already. Also Alabama and Ole Miss will show what Ole Miss has.
- The NCAA once again doesn’t get it. A penalty should only be called for excessive celebrations or taunting the other team if a kid raises his fingers for 3 seconds (LSU game) and doesn’t do anything else, that’s 15 yes on a crucial kickoff? It’s football. It is supposed to be emotional. It’s pretty obvious when someone goes too far. Hold the flag any other time.
- I think Boise State struggling with UC Davis should end the debate about them playing for the title. I say they are lucky to be in the top 25. PLAY SOMEONE!!!!
PRO FOOTBALL ROUNDUP
- Mark Sanchez single handedly lost the game for the Jets. The rest of the offense didn’t help either. The defense held New Orleans in check. they played good enough to win. I didn’t think Sanchez would play great all year, but I didn’t expect the “everything he does is wrong” game, either. Once again, it’s important to see how they respond to a bad defeat. Good teams win their next game. We shall see.
- It’s official to me: Tony Romo is the worst starting QB in the league. I would take Campbell or the new guy at TB over Mr. Hype. He gives them virtually no chance to win if he is called upon. He is inaccurate. He can’t read coverages. He panics in the pocket and either takes sacks or fumbles. He is not a leader in any way. The game against Denver was one of the worst efforts I’ve ever seen. His teammates were visibly upset. That’s not a good sign. If buddy Hackett was his backup, I would start him over Romo. At least the offense would be treated to his hilarious jokes.
- Someone explain to me how the referees beat the Ravens? The Patriots sure didn’t do it. Every crucial NE drive was kept alive by some bizarre penalty call. So a guy rushing the QB, who is engaged with o-linemen, ends up getting thrown near Tom Brady’s legs, and that’s a personal foul?? I know you can’t intentionally go after someone’s legs, and I agree. But it is football, and you can’t expect a defender to rush the QB while getting blocked and not occasionally come near the legs. IT’S IMPOSSIBLE. Also, the play where the ravens offensive lineman got hurt was an obvious late hit on Flaco that wasn’t called. Brady is a great player, but he is now the Kobe Bryant of the NFL. come near him and it’s an automatic penalty. He has even started begging for the calls. Can you say “HOME JOB”.
- What’s wrong with Tennessee this year? They suck. I don’t understand why everyone is so confused. You are judged on how you play, not on paper. They are terrible on the field, hence they are a poor team. I don’t get all the confusion.
- I hate to say it, but my boy Brett Favre looks good with the Vikings. That will only make his inevitable collapse even funnier. Haven’t we seen this before? Even if they make the playoffs, wait for their 1st game. That train always runs on time.
- The Bears aren’t there yet, but they are starting to believe. I hate Jay Cutler, but he’s playing well. The running game is starting to look good. The defense still needs to tighten up. The ingredients are there. Time will tell.
- The Raiders…uh…uh…uh… never mind. The words just aren’t coming to me.
- Steve Smith of the Giants is one of the best route runners I’ve seen in some time. He’s not a burner, but is also not slow. His footwork is perfect and routes are flawless. He does it with such grace it’s almost like it’s not hard. and he goes over the middle. I like the other 2 Giants receivers as well. They are still learning, but are very talented.
- I have to address this issue. Erin Andrews and her situation are none of my business. Just another freak who thankfully didn’t hurt her. My issue is with Andrews perception by most sports people I have heard they say she is there because she is pretty, but she doesn’t know anything about sports and asks stupid questions. I have a different opinion.
It’s pretty obvious she is an attractive woman. That is irrelevant to my opinion. She is the best sideline reporter (basketball too) in the business. She knows sports and what’s going on. She also seems to be the hardest worker on the sidelines. She is always checking the attitudes of players on the teams on the bench. It’s a “vibe”. Anyone who has played sports knows momentum shifts affect the players. If you get down, you’re in big trouble. We wouldn’t know things like that without her. Whenever they go to her she talks about something relevant to the game. She doesn’t interview Carrot Top in the bleachers. (I must admit, I love carrot top’s high brow humor). She’s not the most technical, but she doesn’t need to be. She reports on the intangibles, which are very important.
Lastly, she asks very good questions that are precise and actually make a coach or player think. I’d rather listen to her than some old gasbag man in the booth who thinks he’s an expert and drives you insane. I also think she works very hard because she does give allot of information during a game.
So that’s my stance on Erin Andrews. She is a good sports reporter. If you don’t see that you are blinded by other things.