College Football Week 1 Review
Well, well, well. What a week. Let’s get started.
The most overrated coach in college football history (hold on to your hats) : Bobby Bowden. Yes, that’s right. I have said this the last 15 years and knew he would lay another egg monday night. Let’s count the ways.
He has had the easiest schedule of so called greats in the games history. Remember his first 18 years. He had 2 real games on is schedule, Miami and Florida. He would always lose at least one of those, sometimes two. The rest were cupcakes. Nobody took advantage of the cream puff to get to the title game more than Bowden. And it still didn’t work.
So then he is in the hunt in the mid 90’s. Somehow they had Notre Dame as the last game on the schedule. The undermanned Irish beat them. Then Florida State wins their bowl game, and the sportswriter pity vote gives the clown a title. The key word is “gives”. There is no way they deserved that title. I will admit his 2nd title was deserved. They were the best team in the nation and went undefeated.
So we have someone piling up meaningless wins, except against good teams. He does have a good bowl record. Too little, too late for titles.
Now let’s examine his teams. Athletically superior to most teams. Fast, strong and big. Best recruits in country. Now is where the problem comes in. Coaching. Everything works against the cupcakes because of athletes. But when someone has talent, it is a different story. The most undisciplined team in the country. The defense, led by the clown Mickey Andrews who just yells all game, does not know gap responsibilities or how to cover receivers. Linebackers over pursue, defensive backs blow coverages at least 5 times a game. They are a joke. The offense throws and runs at will against nobody, but can’t run against real defenses or throw very well. How many players have been arrested, kicked out and academically challenged. They are threatening to take away 14 wins right now because of academic problems. Wow, what a coach and credit to college football.
Finally, Florida State had a choice to join a conference years ago. Did they pick the SEC or the BIG 12. OF COURSE NOT. They chose the pathetic ACC. And they still can’t do anything. Have you noticed since the pathetic BCS made scheduling better teams advantageous, Bobby hasn’t sniffed a 10 win seaon? Funny how when you play better competition, you’re not such a legend. And it’s only the ACC. COULD YOU IMAGINE THEM IN THE SEC.
One last thing. I think it’s a riot that the genius hasn’t figured out after 26 years that special teams can determine who wins. After all the losses he has suffered due to horrible special teams, he has never fixed it. Look at monday night. Their kickoff coverage was terrible. Missed extra point, that didn’t end up hurting them. They still suck. But good ole boy bobby. He’s the best.
Now Random Thoughts:
– Boise St has no claim to a bcs game even if undefeated. I’m sick of them. If you want respect, play someone. Find a way to bolster your schedule. Make it happen. By the way, I think the Boise St player got what he deserved after the game when he got punched to the blue turf. Bad things happen when you taunt other players without your helmet on.
– Please get rid of Ohio St early this year they have some scam going. Beat Penn St and win your conference. I’m tired of watching the final game blowouts. They aren’t and haven’t been good in awhile. Fraud.
– In my last article, i said hold off on Ole Miss. If you watched them against Memphis, you found out why. Lucky 4th quarter mad it look like a blowout. A good team beats them that game. Not impressed at all.
– Is Navy good?
– Cincinnati exposed Greg Shiano as the hoax he is. Without Ray Rice, there is no Greg Shiano. And Brian Kelly is a very good coach. Cincy looked very good, even with the new defense.
– Joe Pa slipped past Akron. I guess his race with Bobby the bafoon is still going.
– As published by another author on this page, Bob Stoops is another hoax. Whenever Stoops is required to outcoach someone, he can’t. He can’t win at home against a 23 pt. underdog with his 2nd string QB? You think Meyer, Carroll and Saban couldn’t pull that off? Kudos to BYU for hanging tough and relieving Stoops the embarrassment of making excuses later in the year. By the way, BYU can play ball.