COLLEGE FOOTBALL ROUNDUP
– Florida amazes me. They can play speed ball or smash mouth ball. They out hit a very physical LSU team on the road. They ran the ball and kept the air show at home. Meyer is incredible. He’s known for gadgets but, he is the most fundamentally sound coach in the country. Saban is close. He could go to an elementary school and have them in the top 10 in 2 yrs or less. Right now, in my opinion, they are heads and shoulders above everyone else in the country.
– It makes me sick to see Texas talked about in the national championship debate. They haven’t beat one good team, and really don’t have any on their schedule. Someone must tell me if they play someone later because I am going from memory. They do it every year. They must be taking the JOE PA approach.
– Cincinnati is not getting the respect they deserve. To date, they have done everything right, and played some decent teams. I’m not saying they are the best, but they should be bringing some respect to their team. They got smoked in a BCS bowl last year, and I think they learned and are on a mission. I’m just saying, I wouldn’t want to play them right now.
– You got to give Oregon some love. After that 1st game debacle, they are not only winning, they are pasting people. I don’t know if they are a factor in anyway, but for a team to stay together, coach and players, through what they went through, is a credit to them.
– Some teams I believe making great strides this year:
There are allot more and I will list them in another article.
I will also list programs I think are going backwards.
– Is there a more meaningless award in all of sports than the Heisman Trophy? It’s a pre-designed political campaign. Please, spare us the agony.
PRO FOOTBALL ROUNDUP
– I have already let it be known, I am a Jets fan. The offense was acceptable. The defense, who likes to talk, got manhandled by the Dolphins offense worse than any beat down I’ve seen in the NFL. This was boys against men. It was a great gameplan by the Dolphins. But, make no mistake about, the Dolphins players pushed them up and down the field at will. The Dolphins O wanted the game more than the Jets D did. It was obvious. I won’t even talk about Braylon Edwards right now. The beat down is the main story. Dolphins get all the credit, but the Jets D did not show up to play football and didn’t want the game. That’s a horrible sign.
– I do admire the Dolphins. They didn’t quit last year and they didn’t quit this year. Henne is raw, but they find a way to win. The D needs to tighten up a lot, though.
– I understand the wildcat, I just don’t understand why it’s successful. It’s either a handoff to outside or keep and pick a hole. That all takes time. Where is the penetration by the defenses into the backfield? I understand it’s good execution by the offense, but c’mon, it’s not complicated. It’s power running. I just don’t get it.
-I have to apologize to Cincinnati. I doubted them. I don’t think they are a great team, but i think they are capable of beating anyone. They sure don’t give up. Now Baltimore, who I thought was good, is highly overrated. Flacco is still young and good, but not that good. The D is old and has no discipline. The intensity level scares nobody. I think Ray Rice is the sunny spot for that team. They just aren’t the same.
– It’s nice to see an organization do the right things right and be rewarded. The Broncos hired McDaniel’s and was criticized. They almost traded Marshal and didn’t. Those decisions have enabled them to be a solid football team who will be there when the playoffs are decided.
McDaniel’s has started about as well as a 33 yr old coach can. He wins, is a player’s coach and gets maximum effort from his players. They don’t make mistakes. This isn’t luck. I watched the whole NE game. They are a darn good team. Also, give props to Marshal. He was sat in practice and demanded a trade. I was thinking it’s just another receiver with TO disease instead, according to the Bronco front office and all players and coaches, Marshal made an about face the day he was benched and was the total professional. He worked hard everyday and changed his attitude. The whole team took notice. Now, he is one of the best WR’s in the game and is considered a great teammate. You can see it on the field. He is not selfish and celebrates with his teammates. He also compliments his teammates every interview. SOMEONE FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One short note. Look into the world of college basketball and see what’s going on with Binghamton University basketball. I live right near campus. Read up on it. I will write about what is not being told if people want to here about. Also, since i came onto this site late in the baseball season, I will not comment on it this year.